Pages

Saturday 26 September 2015

The Warrior Heir

Title: The Warrior Heir
Series: The Heir Chronicles - book 1
Author: Cinda Williams Chima
Rating: 4 stars
Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy
Number of Pages: 426
Publication Date: 2006
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Summary: Before he knew about the Roses, 16-year-old Jack lived an unremarkable life in the small Ohio town of Trinity. Only the medicine he has to take daily and the thick scar above his heart set him apart from the other high schoolers. Then one day Jack skips his medicine. And it feels great - until he loses control of his own strength and nearly kills another player during soccer team tryouts.
Soon Jack learns the startling truth about himself: he is Weirlind, part of an underground society of magical people who live among us. At their helm sits the feuding houses of the Red Rose and the White Rose, whose power is determined by playing the Game - a magical tournament in which each house sponsors a warrior to fight to the death. The winning house rules the Weir.
As if his bizarre heritage isn't enough, Jack finds out that he's not just another member of Weirlind - he's one of the last of the warriors - at a time when both houses are scouting for a player.

I found this book to be an interesting and unique read. The world that is created within this book is complex and well thought out. For every possible question you could ask, you can guarantee that their is an answer, not that any of the characters like to share any important information. Clearly a lot of work has gone into building this world as it continued to expand and become even more impressive and detailed. The Weir and their world is one of a long history of bloodshed, betrayal at the ultimate cost and a world steeped in tradition.

As complex as the world is, the characters are even more so. Every character you meet has some important role to play, some trick or treachery they are meant to fulfill. Just when you think you have the devious characters distinguished from the good guys, you find out you couldn't be more wrong. As I was reading this book I couldn't help but imagine myself in Jack's shoes. The way this story is written meant that I was just as confused and lost as Jack was feeling. The sense of hopelessness, betrayal and fear he feels are so easy to get drawn into.

I must confess that as much as I enjoyed this book I did struggle with it quite a bit. First of all as I mentioned earlier the world and the characters are complex. Each and every time I thought I has it all figured out, I found myself having to start over. The story is also not particularly fast paced, in fact it's slow. The first half of the book is simply Jack learning that he is a warrior and that he must train, with a few hit and miss fight scenes thrown in for luck. The last half of the book is all about him getting ready for the actual 'Game'. And when I found myself with only about 50 pages to go and no Game so to speak, I was seriously beginning to wonder if I had brought a book that was missing part of the story and within a couple of pages you find yourself at end and its game over.

As for the main character Jack, while I found myself getting caught up in so many of his emotions, there were also quite a few times that I was left wondering what the hell he was thinking and why he was feeling the way he was. But overall I did enjoy the premise of this book and the unique world and will continue with the second book. I feel that The Warrior Heir is the kind of book that you appreciate it more the second time, when you know a bit more about what is going on. So if you love betrayal, and a little bit of mystery, I would recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment